What we believe
God is the creator of all things: this world, us, all we see around us. He made us to be in relationship with him, ruling his creation under his authority.
But all humanity has rebelled against God’s rule. We are thus alienated from him, subject to death and decay.
Jesus, however, is God himself, born as a human. His perfect life of obedience to God, his death on a cross on our behalf, and his resurrection to life again means that the penalty we owe for our rebellion has been paid. Jesus is our representative and our substitute, freeing us from sin and death.
In Jesus Christ, then, we are restored to relationship with God, reconciled, and forgiven. We live joyfully knowing that we know the creator of the universe as our Father, and—more importantly—he knows us as his children.
Macquarie University Christian Union upholds the fundamental truths of the Christian faith as expressed in the AFES doctrinal basis, including:
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture as originally given and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of humanity since the fall, rendering men and women subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth by the Virgin Mary.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only though the sacrificial death, as our representative and substitute, of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective in the individual sinner, granting him or her repentance towards God, and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.